Productivity drainers: 7 biggest workplace distractions
1. The biggest distraction at work according to 22% of employees surveyed was personal relationship issues. Implementing an employee assistance program (EAP) can be a valuable employee resource to help workers solve work and personal problems.
2. The next largest disruption at work was coworkers who want to chat, according to 19% of employees who said this was the biggest distraction.
3. Challenges with work relationships was cited by 16% of employees. Click here for strategies and tactics to deal with problem employees.
4. Close behind was financial/legal problems, the biggest distraction for 15% of workers.
5. Child-related or caregiving issues left 11% of employees in a fog while trying to concentrate at work. Employers of choice often excel in providing family-friendly benefits.
6. For 6% of workers, personal health problems, topped their list of distractions.
7. Finally, only 4% said personal communications, such as cell phones, e-mail/instant messenger, or social media was their Achilles heel to a productive work day.
Whether its the chatterbox in the next cubicle or following friends relationship dramas on Facebook, employees have a wide range of distractions competing for their time and attention at work. Here are the seven biggest distractions to employees, according to a poll from employee assistance program provider ComPsych. Whats most (and least) distracting may surprise you. (Images: Thinkstock)