12 Most bizarre excuses for employee sick days
1. Employees 12-year-old daughter stole his car and he had no other way to work. Employee didnt want to report it to the police.
2. Employee said bats got in her hair.
3. Employee said a refrigerator fell on him.
4. Employee was in line at a coffee shop when a truck carrying flour backed up and dumped the flour into her convertible.
5. Employee said a deer bit him during hunting season.
6. Employee ate too much at a party.
7. Employee fell out of bed and broke his nose.
8. Employee got a cold from a puppy.
9. Employees child stuck a mint up his nose and had to go to the ER to remove it.
10. Employees brother-in-law was kidnapped by a drug cartel while in Mexico.
11. Employee drank anti-freeze by mistake and had to go to the hospital.
12. Employee had a headache after going to too many garage sales.
Its that time of year again when employees have trouble making it in to the office and no, we dont mean cold and flu season. Some employees, not quite ready to go back to the grind after extended holiday time off, may be looking for some extra time away. According to CareerBuilder, the highest period of employee absenteeism occurs between January and March, with 34% of employers noting that use of sick days peak in the first quarter of the year. Further, 29% of workers cite errands and plans with family and friends among the top reasons for calling in sick when they were well.
Starting the year on a light-hearted note, EBN selected a dozen from CareerBuilders list of some of the most outrageous excuses employees have used to call in sick. We hope theyll help you maintain your sense of humor as you endure the absenteeism of the winter months.